627 Squadron in retirement

 

Home

Events

History

Marking

Mosquitos

Badge

Memorial

Photo Album

Thorpe Camp

At First Sight

At Second Sight

Mosquitos Airborne

Links

BEF Al Faw Video '05

e-mail

627 Squadron in Retirement

Badge

The Squadron Badge

The grant of a Squadron Badge came in 1945. As is customary, it originated from the College of Arms and the device is a falcon diving holding a firebrand in its beak, indicative of the visual dive marking we were carrying out on behalf of No. 5 Group at the time, the motto being similarly appropriate.

The original grant bore the signature of His Majesty King George VI, and of Chester Herald, as illustrated here.

Badge Grant

A photograph of the badge was distributed to all personnel on the Squadron at the time and an official copy was framed and displayed in the Officers' Mess at Tattershall Thorpe. This copy is now in the safe keeping of the last Commanding Officer. The original is, of course, in the archives of Air Historical Branch, RAF MOD, and a copy is held by the College of Arms in London. The badge appears only with a King's Crown, the Squadron having been finally dispanded well before the reign of Queen Elizabeth II.

Badge Images Crown Copyright

Copyright 1943-2012 627 Squadron in Retirement or as credited